The Female Brain

I have finished this book a couple of weeks ago.
I thought it was an interesting reading, at first because of the title. I was curious what would the author, Louann Brizendine, have to say about it.
I ended up pleasantly surprised by the subject and the way she presented it. She is a doctor and brings some technical information along the chapters. This fact may be not so interesting for non medical readers, but the whole idea behind on how women brains work and what are the differences between male and female brains are very worthwhile.
It is enlightening, to say the least. It really opens up your mind and helps you to understand what goes on with all the hormones in a woman's life and how it can affect her and others.
I was able to see great parallels, real life experience.
It took me a while to pass through the first chapters. A few days. And I have some medical background. I am not sure if the reason was some technical complexity or just my mind was in another world.
I was reading another book at the same time too, and it was a little easier to read - I will comment on it next. It was a memoir as part of a book club I participate, so I also wanted to finish that one on time for the next meeting. All these factors may have affected on my reading speed, but anyway. I liked both books.
I have to say that, I ended up finding out there was a movie with the same title, and the author was involved in the adaptation. However, the movie is so much different from the approach in the book, that I can't even believe Mrs Brizendine took part on it. The movie retracts women in a constant crazy mode, almost ridiculously infantile and superficial. But that is only my opinion. I didn't like it.
I do recommend the book, though, specially for mature women and men who live with them. It may help you to understand what is going on and live a little bit better. Just saying!
Anyone else can wait until maturity to read or read it anyway. It brings some funny teaching moments and may help you to prevent the issues you would carry until maturity to resolve or ignore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Glass Castle